Saturday 28 February 2015

Hypex SMPS400 Power supply repair.

Before we begin I want to make it clear this is a guide only. The repair worked for me and I cannot be held responsible for any damage caused to your board or yourself. If your not a qualified engineer I would recommend this job is left to a professional! 

I have a pair of Hypex SMPS400 that were dead. The fact that both had the same fault might be an indication that this is a common fault? There was no info online and I tried getting service information but the makers just wanted me to send back for a repair. As there was no diagram available I checked the obvious first and managed to repair them both.

This is what the board is like when connected in the amp.


There are three capacitors that you need to check and replace. C25, C26 & C27 
They are all 220uf 35v. C25 was the most difficult to replace but when they were replaced it came back to life.
Here are close photos of the parts that needed replacing. I have highlighted the capacitors in both photos.


I hope you manage to have the same success as me at repairing your power supply. 

Good luck.

18 comments:

  1. Gonna give this a try thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After how many hours of use you had this issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I no longer have the unit so can't check sorry.

      Delete
  3. It was like it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what are the voltages j3 and yellow black blue black and red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I no longer have the unit so can't check sorry.

      Delete
  5. HI I HAVE SMPS400 STILL THERE`S POWER BUT NO SOUND DO YOU NOW THIS PROBLEM PLEASE

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid this is not a fault that I had so I cannot help you . Sorry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is an old thread but can you document the power supply, like what fets and control ic are they using, it would be really great to reverse engineer this power supply.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I found this page! I had spotted & changed C27 & 26, but still no power up. After seeing where C25 was in your pic above, I looked and it was covered in glue - cracked it off & sure enough it was swollen, too. Replaced it & got power. Thanks! ---JT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I've an issue with with one of this. Does anybody have a clue what is the value of T10? Seems to be a BCP56 (SOT223 Package). Has a big hole on top, so part designators incinerated! Other components may be faulty too, but I'll give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello greetings friends could you tell me what are the voltajes at the output of the connections on both connection

    ReplyDelete
  11. mine was same faulty as yours, at 1st im gonna replace the smps controller tl494 but realize there is no Vdd supply on tat ic. i check the C25 with ESR the cap didnt completely faulty but maybe the voltage rating fail. it works after i replace it

    ReplyDelete
  12. C25 is good, t11 does not conduct at times measuring the voltage appears, in the collector t11 the voltage does not appear to activatert10, only a voltage of approximately 1v appears, I need to change the diode d17.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello friends. Greetings from Brazil.

    The VCC of the TL494 is 0v. I'll try this tip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. try www.micro-audio.com/store for better SMPS products

    ReplyDelete
  15. amigo me puedes regalar una foto de la parte de bajo

    ReplyDelete